Wednesday 12 February 2014

Mamma Mia! Here She Goes Again!

Our third interviewee is none other than Sarah Scotcher, the director and co-writer of this year's pantomime: Robinson Crusoe.

Sarah is also playing Chief Abbadon in the showa tribal leader whose hobbies include listening to ABBA songs, chasing men and eating chocolate...

This is the sixth pantomime you've directed in the last seven years for The Wight Strollers - what is it that you love about directing our motley crew?

The Strollers are a great bunch, I love directing them - their enthusiasm is second to none, which I know comes across on stage. I love the wide age range that spans across the company and the family feel. When people dedicate so much of their spare time to a production, it has to be fun. We have this in abundance.


What's the biggest challenge about putting together a production on this scale?

Pulling all different aspects of the show together at the theatre: scenery, costumes, music, dance and, of course, the script. We don't have the luxury of rehearsing at the theatre until a few days before the show and waiting to see if the vision you have carried in your mind as the director is transferred to the stage can be nerve-wracking! You have to be flexible and quick-thinking to make changes on the spot if needs be.


What advice would you give someone who was looking to direct a pantomime?

Play to people's strengths when casting and enlist the help of others who know their craft. You have to develop a thick skin, too, because the buck stops with you! I love directing and I don't think you ever stop learning - I always take something away with me from every show I go to see. The minute you think you know it all, you're in trouble. I have always said I will do what is best for the show and that is exactly what I do, offend or please!


Rumour has it that you've been a Wight Stroller for a long time - how did you start?

The Wight Strollers was formed from the Nesta Meech School of Dance when she retired in 1981. Nesta taught me to dance from an early age - she was a lovely lady, I owe a lot to her. I hope she would be proud of what the Strollers have continued to do.


A member from the start - that is a lot of pantomime! What is it, for you, that makes pantomime so timelessly charming?

Pantomime is family entertainment, and very often it's a child's first experience of live theatre. I love the interaction with the audience and I am at my happiest on stage and ad-libbing with the audience. The sound of laughter, happy faces and being part of that.....there's nothing like it, I am addicted!


And finally, why should people buy tickets for Robinson Crusoe?

Come and see our latest production and join in the fun, you won't be disappointed. Professional quality at amateur prices. Did I mention we raise money for Island charities? ...I'll stop talking now and draw breath!

-

A great interview from an exceptionally talented lady - thanks, Sarah! You heard the director - buy your tickets for Robinson Crusoe by booking online or by phoning Medina Theatre Box Office on 01983 527020.

No comments:

Post a Comment